The Art of Flow Yoga Teacher Training, Unfolding The Sacred Craft of Teaching Vinyasa Yoga
This advanced yoga teacher training program can be taken alone or as part of our 300-Hour Advanced Yoga Teacher Training Certification. Pavones Yoga Center is a yoga teaching school registered with Yoga Alliance at the 200-hour and 300-hour level.
February 18 - 28, 2018
This yoga teacher training begins on the evening of the program's start date and ends on the morning of the program's end date. Plan to depart from Pavones Yoga Center on the morning of the program end date indicated.
For this program you will need:
- Ipod or mp3 player with your music
- Audio file (on your ipod or mp3 player) of one of your favorite teachers teaching a yoga class
- Audio file of yourself teaching a yoga class
- A 200‐hour certification (either through Pavones Yoga Center or a different Yoga Alliance certified school) is required unless you are taking this course as a personal growth retreat
- Optimal design and sequencing secrets for vinyasa classes
- Orchestrating the flow of mixed‐ or all‐level yoga classes
- How to incorporate a theme into your yoga classes
- The effective use of voice, language, music, and tempo
- Ayurveda: doshas and gunas as they relate to designing a yoga class
- Lunar Namaskar and how to use the five elements in yoga sequencing
The Art of Flow: Unfolding The Sacred Craft of Teaching Vinyasa Yoga is a ten day intensive for body and soul. This program can be taken alone or as a part of our 300-hour Advanced Yoga Teacher Training Certification. In this advanced yoga teacher certification course, we will explore the natural creativity that arises from asana practice specifically through vinyasa yoga. Vinyasa or flow yoga can be understood as a dynamic representation of the steady unbroken stream of consciousness and awareness in the universe. We are attuning that which is anchored in the present moment: the physical body. By synchronizing breath and movement of the physical organism, we awaken to our inherent wholeness.
What to Expect
The Art of Flow Yoga Teacher Training will give you the background you need to safely and effectively sequence vinyasa yoga classes
Together we will explore the use of language as poetry, Sanskrit in yoga teaching, the art of story-telling in yoga classes, how music can impact the mood or energy of the room, and the crucial element of timing and rhythm in teaching yoga. You will learn how to incorporate an authentic theme into a class, how to pace your teaching to create a sense of unity in the room, and how to bring out your true voice as a teacher.
All Pavones Yoga Center teacher trainings are offered in residential retreat style. Accommodations, meals, yoga classes, and training sessions all take place onsite. There is built-in relaxation time each day for exploring the tropical beach-jungle in which this course unfolds. This yoga certification program also combines various experiences in nature as a way to deepen your connection to the earth and to inspire the sense of awe and natural curiosity that foster healthy learning. Whenever possible, our training experience follows the rhythms and cycles of nature, for example by celebrating new beginnings on the new moon and allowing time for meditative practices on the full moon. By being on nature's schedule you will find an increased ability to heal, transform and grow.
Intrigued? We hope so. And we invite you to join for the inspirational The Art of Flow Yoga Teacher Training Program at Pavones Yoga Center.
This yoga teacher training goes above and beyond giving graduates the tools to becoming amazing yoga teachers and the confidence to bring their own individuality to their class and practice.
Our mission in this training is to help people become inspired yoga teachers and practitioners who draw upon their own life experiences to share yoga with the world.
Gifted yoga teachers with decades of combined teaching experience guide our advanced yoga teacher training programs. Pavones Yoga Center faculty teachers and guest speakers are real, authentic, unfiltered, and passionate; they give 100% of themselves to their teaching. At Pavones Yoga Center, our commitment to your growth and education as a yoga teacher is unparalleled.
Typical Daily Schedule
|6:15 – 8:30 am||Morning Yoga Practice (vinyasa)|
|1:00 – 5:30 pm||Afternoon session (technique/philosophy/theory/practicum)|
|6:30 – 9:00 pm||Evening yoga practice or theory/philosophy|
Please keep in mind, this schedule is written in sand, not stone. While the contents of the training remain consistent, slight variations to the program schedule may occur to flow with the particular energy of each program.
- Technique Training & Practice (30 hours)
- The art and science of sequencing asana
- How to teach mixed-level classes
- Vinyasa: Use of music, types of music, effect of different kinds of music on the brain.
- Daily vinyasa classes with music, with analysis of classes afterward
- Teaching Methodology (10 hours)
- Learn how to mirror while demonstrating postures
- Hands-on assists and verbal cues: finding the balance
- Receive valuable personal feedback from Indira and the PYC yoga teachers about your yoga teaching. Evaluation sessions are meant to highlight your unique gifts as a teacher and also point toward the next step in your evolution.
- Tracking the room: watching for potential injury and helping your students safely play their edge.
- What is flow and how can we, as teachers, use rhythm, tempo, voice quality, pace, to lead our students into an experience of flow?
- Anatomy & Physiology (10 hours)
- Contraindications and benefits of different types of yoga postures.
- How to modify postures for different students.
- Bones and Joints: How students’ natural build affects the outward appearance of a posture.
- As a teacher, what to look for in your students’ postural alignment.
- Philosophy, Lifestyle, Ethics (20 hours)
- Basics of Ayurveda and how to incorporate the wisdom of Ayurveda into your yoga teaching.
- Sanskrit As An Earth-Based Language.
- Learn to chant the Sanskrit alphabet as a way to decode proper pronunciation of all yoga pose names.
- Practicum (10 hours)
- Practice teaching in pairs and small groups.
- Designing sequences for different emotional impact (high energy, low energy, building to a peak pose, themed classes).
- Teaching and evaluating your own class.
- Group evaluation of student-led yoga class including: use of music, voice, tempo, rhythm, pace, verbal cues, sequencing, safety.
- UNIQUE TO PYC: EARTH-BASED TEACHINGS (20 hours) Eco-Oriented Yoga
- Ritual and ceremony: contact with the natural world for interconnectedness.
- Personal Story-telling and Nature-themed classes.
- Our connection to Nature as a source of healing
- The impact of the environment on our physical, emotional, and spiritual well-being
- Using earth-based imagery and metaphor in a yoga class
- Eco-Oriented Yoga: The philosophy and practice of Eco-oriented Yoga is unique to Pavones Yoga Center.
The course is carried out in the breath-taking open air Yoga Pavilion, perched above the town of Pavones with an expansive ocean view from three sides and a lush jungle to our backs. Overlooking the Pacific, our accommodations and retreat settings cannot be topped.
You will wake each morning with macaws soaring overhead, toucans singing in the nearby trees, or howler monkeys making their way through the jungle nearby. We have designed our package to include all expenses including vegetarian meals prepared by our chefs who have worked around the world for celebrity clientele.
This training is an excellent opportunity to immerse yourself in yoga inquiry. Our Pavones Yoga Center training is unique in that we limit our group size (to a maximum of 12 students in The Art of Flow yoga teacher training) so that each student is able to receive direct feedback about their yoga teaching. This provides a deeply individualized learning experience. Our intention is to nurture an authentic and genuine learning environment where each student feels supported to offer heartfelt and meaningful yoga classes that have the potential to transform the human experience of what it means to be alive.
We hold that the health and wellbeing of earth and humans are inextricably linked; environmental issues are a sign of faltering human psychology and spiritual maturity, and human psycho-emotional illness is in direct proportion to the sickness of the natural world. Our exploration into the field of Eco-psychology will directly address how a contemplative practice of yoga can shape and support an emerging sense of wholeness and deep personal wellbeing. Most fun of all, a portion of our training is dedicated to direct experiences with nature as a way to foster the natural "being in the present moment" awareness that is the 'aim' of yoga.
Pavones Yoga Center is a registered Yoga Alliance accredited school at both the 200-hour and 300-hour levels. By combining the two certificates, our graduates are able to become certified at the 500-hour level, the highest accredited level of yoga teaching based on Yoga Alliance standards. The hours of this program can be divided into the following categories with mandatory hours as listed (in compliance with standards set by Yoga Alliance). If you are taking this course for Yoga Alliance certification you will need to attend all classes in order to comply with the number of contact hours required by Yoga Alliance.
Tuition & Registration
Program Cost: $2,300 USD*
*Cost includes all expenses: shared (two per room) onsite lodging, all meals, all program costs.
Room upgrade options available on the registration form.